“If you can’t laugh at the pain, what can you do with it?” You can’t let it make you bitter, but you can let it make you better.” -Roscoe Burnems
Tawny’s Traumedy Recommendations: My Favorite Comedies Involving Tragedy
Help me add to the list!
Comment below and let me know what comedy/drama movies, shows, podcasts, comedians, Instagrammers, and TikTokers I missed.
- Silver Linings Playbook – The movie about the “crazy slut with the dead husband.”
- Coco – Pixar once again delivers on both the emotional terrorism and comedy front.
- Moonlight Mile – All of the weirdness and inevitable laughter that surround tragic loss.
- Hamilton – Phillipa Soo gives an incredibly accurate portrayal of grief and loss in this musical with plenty of comedic moments.
TV & Series
- Dead To Me – Christina Applegate is a suburban widow who headbangs to screamo in her car and curses loudly, further reminding us there’s no wrong way to grieve.
- Jane The Virgin – MILD SPOILERS – The representation of young widows and the laughable absurdity that comes along with trying to navigate a new life is spot on. It’s a telenovela so it’s silly, sweet, sad, and super self-aware. I watched this season right after my husband passed away.
- Terrible, Thanks For Asking
- Good Grief
- Patton Oswalt – On how grieving in public is therapeutic
- JC Coccoli – A Comedian In Grief
- Glen Tickle – Good Grief
- Kelli Dunham
- Pete Davidson
- Laurie Kilmartin – 45 Jokes About My Dead Dad
- Roscoe Burnems – Traumedy
- The Foul Mouthed Widow
- Mouthy Michelle – Author of, “Boys, Booze, and Bathroom Floors” & “Vodka Soup for the Widowed Soul”